0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2015 5:00 PM by Kurt Reinhardt

    Updated 4.0 to 4.1 SPX - Undocumented error?

    Kurt Reinhardt

      Today, I upgraded a client from SAP Crystal Server 2011 (BI 4.0 SP0) to SAP Crystal Server 2013 (BI 4.1 SP7) using the recommended method of simply applying the SAP Crystal Server 2013 SP7 Update.  In general, things went well, but Tomcat wouldn't start upon completion. The error message was "The Apache Tomcat 6.0.24 service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified."

       

      I wasn't able to find anything in the KB regarding this error, nor anything in SCN.  There was a Tomcat error mentioned in KB1982241, which recommended replacing SAPJVM from a working system, missing bootstrap.jar and tomcat-juli.jar files and an empty lib folder.  Even though those files weren't missing, I followed the instructions, since it was the only documentation I could find. No dice.  I found a reference to an unsupported Java command, but that wasn't the problem either, since it wasn't in my configuration for Tomcat.  Last, I found suggestions to manually install Tomcat and to run a repair installation, but neither of those seemed like viable solutions.

       

      I then started digging into Tomcat Service shortcuts - which file was missing?  The shortcut in the CCM was something like:

       

      \\Server\D$\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\tomcat\bin\tomcat6.exe" //RS//BOEXI40Tomcat

       

      That must be the problem, I thought!  It's pointing to Tomcat6 instead of 7!  I fixed the shortcut, but that still didn't fix the problem.  I did verify tomcat7.exe was in that location, so that clearly wasn't the missing file (although this was a necessary correction).

       

      Next, I started poking around the Tomcat Configuration app, looking at all the various shortcuts and I found the problem!  The shortcut for Java Virtual Machine had an extra "\" in the path!  It was:

       

      D:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win64_x64\sapjvm\\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll

       

      After changing it to:

       

      D:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win64_x64\sapjvm\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll

       

      it worked perfectly!  Please note, I have SAP BI 4.1 SP6 running on my laptop and the extra "\" is there and my installation works perfectly fine.  I don't know why it would work in SP6, but not SP7, but I also can't see a reason for the extra "\" to be there in the first place!