0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2015 4:18 PM by Kim Dudgeon

CIP b/s account as a cost element - not using SAP fixed assets

Kim Dudgeon
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I have found lots of discussion out there (ASUG and elsewhere), where folks were asking about creating a cost element for a balance sheet account, and the answer always comes back only in two situations, and one is in a fixed asset reconciliation account.

We are not currently using SAP fixed assets (hope to someday), but we want to start using capital internal orders.  Our current process today is that the AP invoices are coded directly to the CIP account, and then a manual spreadsheet is kept with the actual type of expense.  Yes, I know the 'correct' way to do it, but we are extremely short of staff in our AP department, and they don't want to put more work on those folks to have to key complicated invoices from a general contractor that have lots of individual line items that would go to different accounts.

But, our IT department is struggling with having to keep all these manual spreadsheets, and we looked into setting up capital internal orders to help them have a way to run a report from SAP to show all the costs from one project.

That being said.... Can I still set up the CIP account as a balance sheet account with a cost element so that both sides have a little of what they need?  We are working on getting a scanning/workflow product up and running for AP that would free them up to be able to do the coding of the invoices differently in the future.  But we need a temporary solution to try to help both sides and this looked like a possibility.

If we are not using fixed assets, and I use tran code OAK7 to create the cost element, will I cause other issues in other areas of SAP?  What things would I need to regression test? I did a test run in our DEV system, and it looks like there would be a bunch of asset set up that I would have to do anyway.