3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2011 4:11 PM by James Moore

Is anyone successfully running SolMan on an IBM System i?

Betsy Muir

We are currently implementing Solution Manager for both documentation tracking, regession testing and system monitoring.  Both our dev and prod instances in running on the System i (iSeries, AS/400) but our technology group is pushing to move all SAP Java based applications off the System i.  For all the SAP System i installations out there -- are you running Solution Manager on the i or another platform?  Does anyone know if there is a migration path for SolMan from System i to Windows?

Thanks in advance for any comments, advice, etc.

• 1. Re: Is anyone successfully running SolMan on an IBM System i?
          James Moore

On the issue of migration, we recently migrated from running our Solution Manager from AIX to Linux VM systems. The migration from AIX to Linux was done for us and for the the most part the solution manager system was functional. What we were not aware of was that our migration did not include the migration of any of the interfaces.  We seriously under-estimated the amount of work that would have to be redone to reconnect all of the systems.  Since ALL of our systems were migrated to Linux AND all of the host names changed it has been a real chore with reconnecting all of the systems and removing old droppings and references to the old environments. If you are simply migrating your solution manager you may not have this issue. In our case we would have been better off starting from scratch and reconnecting all of the new instances to the new environment.  If there was an easier way to do this we did not find it.

Jim Moore

Basis Admin

Purdue University

• 2. Re: Is anyone successfully running SolMan on an IBM System i?
            Rick Shelton

Jim,

We are starting to use Red Hat for SAP installations.  What version of RHEL are you using?  What RDBMS?  What are your plans for version 6?  Are you using RHEV (virtualization) for your VMs or VMware?

• 3. Re: Is anyone successfully running SolMan on an IBM System i?
              James Moore

Rick,

We are running RHEL 5.7with Oracle 11g (11.2.02) on VMWARE.. Since we just migrated probably will be a while before we look at ugrading. I would suspect next summer after we upgrade to ECC EHP5 and NW EHP2. Hope this info helps.