1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 1:30 PM by Ryan Wermager

ChaRM for BW

Martina Hahn

We are currently on Solman 7.0 and use Change request mgt for all of our systems (HCM, ERP, SCM, CRM, Portal...) but BW. Our transports to BW, even outside of Charm, are very time consuming. We get a list of transports they want to move and the sequence (often not the sequence that the system would give you) and then you have to wait in between transports as data generates etc.  Putting all of this on Charm seems to make this even more complicated.

I am looking for 2 points:

a) anybody who has a good idea/ understanding on how best to transport changes into BW, even without using Charm and at the same time avoid all these waiting periods and manual steps?

b) anybody who has implemented Charm for BW and has been successful running this way?

Appreciate everybody's feedback

Martina

• 1. Re: ChaRM for BW
          Ryan Wermager

Hello Martina -

I wish I had checked out this forum sooner.  I can help you with both questions.

QUESTION:

a) anybody who has a good idea/ understanding on how best to transport changes into BW, even without using Charm and at the same time avoid all these waiting periods and manual steps?

ANSWER:

The best way is to setup IMG projects within the development system clients.  Then train the BW developers on how to populate the transport project attribute to tie it to the IMG project you setup.  For example:  lets say your project is "Plant 2890 Rollout".  You would create a IMG project called "Plant 2890 Rollout" and then link all the BW transports to that project.  Now, this helps in multiple ways downstream.  You can now use standard SAP reporting transactions like SE03 to find a list of all your transports and determine if they transports are released or modifiable. Understanding if they are released or imported will tell you if you are ready to move to the test environment or anyother target system like mock or training. Once you are ready to import, you can use the IMPORT ALL functionality within standard TMS (Transport Management System) to import the transports.  I am not sure what you mean by your transports taking a long time or "waiting" but the standard TMS functionality of SAP will sort out the objects and sequence the objects in which they need to be imported correctly.  For example: I have seen 100BW transports take on average 2 hours to import into 1 target system like QA.

QUESTION:

b) anybody who has implemented Charm for BW and has been successful running this way?

ANSWER:

Yes. I have been working on implementing ChaRM for the last 2 years across multiple systems - BW has definitely been the most challenging.  I don't know if its because of the objects that are within BW (info objects, cubes, areas, data sources, etc..)  I definitely rely on the BW team to tell me what the "release sequence" is to help sort out any import issues but it doesn't always work well.  This is where ChaRM really helps (or at least SAP tell us it does).  The key to ChaRM and BW is training....LOTS AND LOTS of training on how ChaRM works, what it does, the benefits, the process, what it CANT do (our BW team thought it would handle dependency issues for example).

If you have anymore specific questions, please let me know.

Ryan Wermager