3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2010 8:59 AM by Walter Burke

Heterogeneous copy of Solution Manager 7.0

Asif Rahmetulla
      We are planning to migrate Solution Manager 7.0 from Solaris SPARC platform with Oracle 10g to Solaris x86_64 platform with Oracle 10g. We do not want to loose any work and look for a heterogeneous copy method. We intend to keep the same SID name but change the virtual hostname.

NOTE: the source solution manager is release 7.0 Ehp1 SPS19

Has anyone performed a Solution Manager heterogenous copy? Can we change the virtual hostname during this process?

Regards,
      Asif
        • 1. Re: Heterogeneous copy of Solution Manager 7.0
          Walter Burke

We did a homogeneous system copy last year. We had tested out the process though for a heterogeneous system copy by doing a export / import using the SAP tools. That process worked fine for us in our testing.  We were moving to the same OS / db versions, so we went with a homegeneous copy using backup to disk for the db / restore. You can change the virtual host name in the process. You will need to fix the trusted rfc's for all your managed systems as a part of the process too.

• 2. Re: Heterogeneous copy of Solution Manager 7.0
            Asif Rahmetulla

Hello Walter,

That is great! Do you have some kind of high level steps that I can use as my guideline? Which SAP tools did you use for db export/import?

I am guessing, I will have to start a new install for the target OS/DB and then at some step point to the database export file (from the SAP Tools) for db import? How would the virtual hostname change?

Appreciate your assistance!

Regards,

Asif

• 3. Re: Heterogeneous copy of Solution Manager 7.0
              Walter Burke

Hi,

In the source system, you will do some preperation steps and then export the database instance data with one export and the CI instance data with another export using sapinst. In the target system, you will install the OS, database, and then install parts of SAP (ASCS & SCS). One of the steps will prompt for the Virtual instance host for the db, you can put in the new one. You'll then install the database instance and select the approropriate option for your system copy (you can refer to oss # 970518). You'll also provide the database export file location during the step. Finially, you'll install the CI, providing the Virtual host name, export file from source system etc. You should do a lot of testing, especially to make sure all your Solman functionality still works.     Thanks...