9 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2009 5:48 PM by Carl Lewis

Memory usage

I'm running B1 2007 A PL 46 on a Windows Server 2003 R2 64 bit machine using Terminal Services and RDC.

Our SAP Business One.exe is using 450,000 kb of RAM with add-ons, 250,000 kb of RAM without add-ons.

Is anyone else running in this type of environment experiencing memory usage this high?

Or maybe, is anyone experiencing any memory issues that we can learn from?

Thanks,

Rob

• 1. Re: Memory usage
          Mike Powell

We use terminal services for remote users. We are running Server 2003 Standard SP2, with SAP 2007 A PL 35. Looking at the eight users currently logged in, I see the SAP Business One.exe process using between 37,900 k and 107,104 k, depending on the user. Most are in the 50,xxx k to 60,xxx k range. The user who's process is at 107,104 k is probably our heaviest remote user.

The only "add-on" we have running is XL reporter, which isn't really an add-on anymore. The SBOXLReporter.exe process is taking up less than 5,000 k per user. We don't really use XL reporter, so maybe it would use more RAM if utilized, and I don't know if using XL would cause additional memory use the by the SAP Business One.exe process.

I also see an SAPbouiCOM.exe process, again only taking up about 5,000 k per user.

It sounds like your memory usage is a lot higher than ours.

• 2. Re: Memory usage
            Carl Lewis

Rob:

To be honest, I do not know if that is high memory usage or not - sounds like it is.

How many users are logging into this Terminal server?

How many addons are you running?

Is the system set to automatically load every addon for every user?

Are you finding that there is a slow down?

What types of tasks are taking extra time?

How much RAM is currently on the machine?

Is there still memory available or are you running out of memory?

Is SQL running on the same machine?

I have clients who have faced similiar challenges. Some of the questions and potential answers above are typically helpful.  Sometimes dramtically so.

Typically, adding additional ram is the easiest thing to do and the cheapest.

However, restricting which users automatically run which addons is also a good step to take.  If they do not need every last one of them.  This adds additional "management: responsibilities to the system, but it's a practical and partial solution.

If SQL and Business One are both running on this machine, you can consider running SQL on a separate server.  This is obviously more costly.

You can also be sure to limit the amount of memory SQL can grab.  It will take verything it can unless oyu limit it.

If by any chance you are also running exchange on this machine it too is a memory pig.

Look forward to hearing some more specifics.

CBL>

• 3. Re: Memory usage

Carl, Answers in text

To be honest, I do not know if that is high memory usage or not - sounds like it is.

How many users are logging into this Terminal server? ...22

How many addons are you running?...0 to 5

Is the system set to automatically load every addon for every user?...No

Are you finding that there is a slow down?...We are not yet concerned with slowdown, only we do not have enough Ram to run Outlook.

What types of tasks are taking extra time?...See above

How much RAM is currently on the machine? the machine has 32 Gig, this VM has 12 Gib available

Is there still memory available or are you running out of memory?...Running out

Is SQL running on the same machine?...No

I have clients who have faced similiar challenges. Some of the questions and potential answers above are typically helpful.  Sometimes dramtically so.

Typically, adding additional ram is the easiest thing to do and the cheapest....We are at max now.

However, restricting which users automatically run which addons is also a good step to take.  If they do not need every last one of them.  This adds additional "management: responsibilities to the system, but it's a practical and partial solution.... Agreed, we are currently doing this.

If SQL and Business One are both running on this machine, you can consider running SQL on a separate server.  This is obviously more costly....Not an issue

You can also be sure to limit the amount of memory SQL can grab.  It will take verything it can unless oyu limit it.... Not an issue

If by any chance you are also running exchange on this machine it too is a memory pig....No

Look forward to hearing some more specifics.

Thanks Carl,  I do think that 250 MB of Ram for B1 standalone is high though.

Rob

• 4. Re: Memory usage

Thanks Mike,

By Windows Standard do you mean 32 bit?

Rob

• 5. Re: Memory usage
                  Carl Lewis

Rob:

By VM do you mean that this is a Virtual Machine.

CBL>

• 6. Re: Memory usage
                    Mike Powell

Yes, 32 bit. I overlooked the 64 bit specification on your original post. Is there a native 64-bit SBO client? I would expect a 64 bit app to take up some amount more memory, but more than double seems extreme. Maybe the client is 32-bit and the OS is having to virtualize around it, causing more RAM usage?

• 7. Re: Memory usage
                      Carl Lewis

It does seem high at 250.

Even in a Virtual machine that I have setup for SAP Business One and Valogix the numbers are lower

SAP Business One = 85,232

Valogix = 80.992

XLReporter = 4,144

We also just checked another customers terminal server most users were at about 150,00-200,000 but one user was at 222,000

CBL>

• 8. Re: Memory usage

We are running One machine with four virtual machines

1) Terminal Server with 22 users

2) SQL Server

3) Domain Controller/File Server

4) Exchange Server

The machine has 32 Gig of ram, and two dual core 3 gig processors.

Our goal is to purchase another machine and run  1& 4 on a machine and 2 & 4 on the other.

If we have a failure, we can then run all four on the remaining machine.

We are trying to size out the second machine, but we want to understand the requirements first, thus the reason to dig into this ram issue.

Thanks for your help,

Rob

• 9. Re: Memory usage
                          Carl Lewis

WOW

very cutting edge.

I only have one customer out of about 70 that's is even interested in running virtual servers.

I have done a little more investigation and it seems that in a Terminal Server Environment it's not uncommon for Business One's exe to average 150-200 megabytes.  250 is on the high side but not really unusual.

We used to run it ourselves, and those numbers were normal for us also according to out IT department.

CBL>