8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2009 8:36 AM by Bea Hickey

Estimating costs to implement Solution Manager

Mary Vetrano

Does anyone have any guidelines for estimating cost to implement Sol Man. We are looking to implement document repository, Issue Mgmt, Service Level Reporting and BI Reporting. Any guidelines or real data points from your experience would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Estimating costs to implement Solution Manager
          Michael Pytel

I dont know where you are in the country so it would be difficult to estimate cost - but I can help you estimate effort and then you can work with a vendor to get cost from that.

In order to configure the scenarios listed below, we first need to look at the prerequisties.  For example do you have the following configured?

1. Administrative SLD (2-3 Days)

2. NWA and SMD (3-5 Days)

3. Solution Landscapes (3-5 Days)

4. CCMS with Solution Manager as CEN (2 days for CEN, 1/2 Day per system)

When you say document repository - do you mean project administration?  Or are you talking about Knowledge Management?  And for Issue Management do you mean Change Management or Service Desk?

As for Service Level Reporting and BI Reporting - what do you want to report against?  TCode response time, system availability, failed background jobs, etc?  The type of reporting you are after will directly correspond to effort.  If you are only looking to report against five TCodes  on 1-2 systems, then you are probably looking at 3-5 days to configure.

Change Management, Service Desk, and Service Level Reporting require more involvement from the business users than other Solution Manager scenarios.  The better the planning up front, the more sucessful the implementation.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions

Michael

michaelpytel@comsys.com

• 2. Re: Estimating costs to implement Solution Manager
            Bea Hickey

Mary:

The best route would be to work with a certified Run SAP Implementation partner for gathering this type of information.  I can make that information available to you if you'd like although the file is a bit large so I would need to send it to your work email.  Since REALTECH is a certified Run SAP Imlementation partner we have a guideline for setting up Solution Manager.  Let me know if you would like to receive the file.

Bea Hickey

REALTECH

• 3. Re: Estimating costs to implement Solution Manager
              Jim Shene

Hello Bea,

I would be interested in the file that you mentioned in your response. I can be reached at jts621@gmail.com

• 4. Re: Estimating costs to implement Solution Manager

Hello Bea,

I would be interested in the file you mentioned in the reply. Please email to Paul_Nakoski@lord.com

Thanks

Paul

• 5. Re: Estimating costs to implement Solution Manager
                  Ruth Ciamarra

mvetrano@altera.com wrote:

Does anyone have any guidelines for estimating cost to implement Sol Man. We are looking to implement document repository, Issue Mgmt, Service Level Reporting and BI Reporting. Any guidelines or real data points from your experience would be appreciated.

Please limit all future responses to be references to guidelines or real data points. Solicitations of business are prohibited by the site terms of use. Thanks.

Ruth Ciamarra, Solution Manager SIG Chair

• 6. Re: Estimating costs to implement Solution Manager
                    Patrick O'Leary

Hello,  This may be of some help on estimating Solution Manager implementations.  It is a minimum time to estimate the knowledge transfer and set up.  Thanks!

Patrick O'Leary, p.o-leary@sap.com  cell: 954.610.5286

• 7. Re: Estimating costs to implement Solution Manager
                      Robert Max

This information is based upon my own experience and documents on service marketplace - E2E Standards for Solution Operations

The timeline for implementation of Solution Manager is as follows:

Establish the infrastructure - Server set up and ready for software to be loaded (You know your organization best)

Configure solution manager for license management,  maintenance optimizer and define the system landscape (one week with one or two consultants)

Preparing the Solution Manager Service Desk Functionality - Ability to create a service document and pass that document on to SAP (one week with one or two consultants)

At this point the team can embark on the topics you described.  If you have an experienced individual working with a team commited to these goals with few distractions than perhaps six weeks (best case) to six months (large organization with IT staff of approx 200).  This requires a larger number of individuals and the bulk of the work is on the service desk side and not the document repository side.  

After Solution Manager is up and in the first two weeks configured at the bare minimum, I have a suggestion.  Treat this as an ongoing/neverending effort to comply with SAP's E2E Standards for Solution Operations and just make it part of your ITs Organizations normal workload.  Break it up into little efforts.    We do that with most Enterprise Management Tools.

Robert Max, Certified SAP Associate

• 8. Re: Estimating costs to implement Solution Manager
                        Bea Hickey

Hope you got the info Jim and that is was helpful.