4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2008 3:39 PM by Jason Schweitzer

Solution Manager Install - Domain or Local Account

Maria Graziano

Hey..

I want to know if Solution Manager should be installed by local or domain account?

We have loaded saprouter on the solman server and having problems opening the connection

maria

• 1. Re: Solution Manager Install - Domain or Local Account
          Roy Richardson

Wow.  I hope someone sent you an answer after all this time.  We set up ours as a local account.  We isolate our systems from the Domain to ensure domain administrators can't just start administering our SAP systems.  It should and would work either way.  It would depend on how you want to set up your security, if you do single-signon using Active Directory as your logon authority, etc.

Roy Richardson

• 2. Re: Solution Manager Install - Domain or Local Account
            Maria Graziano

We have resolved the connection issues.

However my question may still be there that IF we have installed one of the servers in our SAP System Landscape with a Local Account with Admin privils., how complicated would it be to have it connect to the rest of the SAP Landscape? Sandbox was installed with local account and so it was not joined to TMS, If we want to do that, do we have to make changes to the type of install that it was made with ... local >> domain?

thanks,

maria

• 3. Re: Solution Manager Install - Domain or Local Account
              Roy Richardson

The only catch I would see is when you create a share point for the transport directory that is shared between the systems in the same landscape.  As each system has its own user names and privileges, then you may have some problems with permissions.  You can change out the system to use domain accounts after the fact by changing all the services to run under domain accounts instead of local accounts.  As the installs create groups on the local system, you would have to make sure you had a domain account to replace the local accounts under each group.  For example, localservername\ora.  As Windows security is a lot more loose than UNIX security, this is not nearly as painful.  But other than the transport directory, I don't know of any issues you would have with local accounts.  I hope that helps. 

Roy

• 4. Re: Solution Manager Install - Domain or Local Account
                Jason Schweitzer

A consideration if you're running Windows is printing - network printers are not available to SAP when running under a local acct.  I've worked at companies that have done it both ways, locl and domain..  it all depends on the network topology and other issues like authentication strategy.