6 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2008 11:31 AM by Chris Strahl

Table and field names for Cost of Goods Mfg.

Mike Merkel

Does anyone know how to attain the actual Table and Field names for the Cost of Goods Manufactured for a Finished Good item?  Whenever I display the cost estimate and go into the technical information for Cost of Goods Sold and Cost of Goods Manufacture the Table Name is listed as CKCOSTLINE and Field Name is GK .  I know that these aren't the true technical Table and Field names ... I validated by trying to insert in SE16N (doesn't exist).  Anyone have any insight to help me on this search?   If so, please advise.  Thanks!  

• 1. RE: Table and field names for Cost of Goods Mfg.
          Anthony Flores

That doesn't look right. But, if you go into the Query Generator under Reports and in the top left corner, enter * and tab it will give you a listing of all the tables. I think you want table OACT.

If you need any help, let me know.

Anthony

• 2. RE: Table and field names for Cost of Goods Mfg.
            Mike Grant

Mike, I never saw a table name nor field name even close to what you described. Anthony suggested OACT, which is the G/L Accounts table...not what you probably are looking for.  SAP does some calculations on the fly (not all data fields are stored), so what you're looking for may not be available in a table/field. Have you tried looking at OITM AND OITW, which both have the field AvgPrc where the average prices (costs) are kept for item masters and items by warehouse?  If the FG you're looking for COGS on is an assembly, then you have Prod. Order cost info.  If it a purchased, then you have P.O. cost data.  MG

• 3. RE: Table and field names for Cost of Goods Mfg.
              Mike Merkel

Anthony and Mike, thanks to both of you for your reponses/suggestions.  I tried looking at all (3) tables {OACT, OITM & OITW} and none of these are what I'm looking for.  Actually, whenever I try to access any of these (3) in our SAP produciton client I get an error message stating that "table is not active in the Dictionary".  

I called a former associate of mine that works in the consulting world and he stated that these values are internally calculated through a function module ... no SAP table access. It appears that I need to have our ABAP development crew involved.

Thanks so much for your suggestions though!!

• 4. RE: Table and field names for Cost of Goods Mfg.
                Anthony Flores

Where are you trying to access the tables from? An SQL program or Query Generator in SB1.

Anthony

• 5. RE: Table and field names for Cost of Goods Mfg.
                  Mike Grant

Mike,

You're welcome. Your associate said "internally calculated,"  which is what I meant when I said "SAP does some calculations on the fly (not all data fields are stored)." A number of key reports/forms are done this way by SAP.

Mike

• 6. Re: Table and field names for Cost of Goods Mfg.
                    Chris Strahl

Mike,

From your question I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for, but here is how the OITM/OITW relationship works. Both tables hold all of the costing data for an item (meaning the total valuation divided by the quantity). However, only one table is activated at a time based upon an administrative setting. This setting is called "Manage Cost by Warehouse". If you've elected to manage costs by warehouse, the OITW table holds all of the costing information (meaning that costs are tracked at the item and warehouse level). If not, then the OITM table holds the costing information (meaning that costs are only tracked as a pool for an item). This works great for moving average, but it may not have all the info you need if you're FIFO. Additionally, check out the warehouse journal table OINM. It stores all of the transactions associated with a particular warehouse including the COGS account postings.

While SAP sometimes does stuff "behind the scenes", typically the data is available if you dig deep enough into the DB schema. Check out the SDK reference. While it omits some stuff, it's a valuable resource for finding out which tables store the appropriate info.

Chris