6 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2008 11:28 AM by Chris Strahl

Deleting a Warehouse

Sarah Schagelin

Hello,

Is there anyway to delete a warehouse once it has been used?

Thank you!
      Sarah

• 1. RE: Deleting a Warehouse
          Anthony Flores

I havn't been able to delete a warehouse that I made by mistake, and with no activity in either. One thing I have learned with SB1 and it's a good thing, is that nothing can be deleted from the system when there  is actvity associated with it.

Also, if you were able to delete the warehouse you would lose all the activity history and journals associated.

Are you using the warehouse as a WIP center?

Anthony

• 2. RE: Deleting a Warehouse
            Sarah Schagelin

Thank you for responding!  Good point about the history and yes we are using the warehouse as a WIP center, but with process changes no longer need to use it.  So I guess more accurately we need to make the warehouse inactive instead of deleting it.  Any idea how to do so?  I know that you can lock the warehouse for specific items, but how do you stop it from being used at all?

• 3. RE: Deleting a Warehouse
              Anthony Flores

SB1 does not allow us to set the warehouse to inactive or lock it from being used. What we did to stop the confusion was rename the warehouse to "Do Not Use". At least this way we have some control over what is being done. 

Anthony
              800-817-7678

• 4. RE: Deleting a Warehouse
                Sarah Schagelin

Alright, thank you.  I guess it all comes down to training and setting up alerts for monitoring.

Thank you for your help!
                Sarah

• 5. RE: Deleting a Warehouse
                  Anthony Flores

Correct, remember this program originated from Israel and Europe and takes a reactive approach with training and alerts, where here in the U.S. we take the proactive approach.

Anthony

• 6. Re: Deleting a Warehouse
                    Chris Strahl

I might be mistaken, but I believe that it is possible to delete a warehouse from the system.  First, you have to remove that warehouse's association with each item.  This is no small task, as you hvae to go an manually remove it from each master record (I haven't found a way to do this in DTW).  I believe that you can then delete it permenantly.

Secondly, I typically remove the check box in the admin menus that automatically adds a new warehouse to each item.  Many of my clients have accidently added the "*" warehouse and had to go through this process to remove it.