1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 24, 2008 3:22 PM by Mike Grant

Production Order, cannot add if parent is also child

Jeannette Gibbons

I want to setup a production order to rework or repair a subassembly; therefore, the item number for which the production order is setup is also a component of the production order. (Production Order Type is Special) When I attempt to add the special production order I receive an error msg: "Component cannot be equal to production item" Any suggestions for a resolution?  

Version: SAP B1 2007 A

• 1. RE: Production Order, cannot add if parent is also child
          Mike Grant

Jeanette:  We were discussing our need to do exactly the same (rework/repair a subassy) just last week with our consultant. We presented two alternatives and asked if he knew of third, better way.  We think #1 is better:

1) Create a Disassembly Production Order to return the component material back to stock. This should leave our original labor costs for the subassy build in WIP Labor (and average cost), which is good because we cannot recover/return it. Then issue a new production order for the subassy, issue all the component material to it, and add just the additional rework labor (delete any other labor to build it).

2) Create a new item number for the rework subassy (-R), adust the subassy down by one and the -R up by one (plus the costs). Then issue a new production order for the subassy, delete all the component material coming from the BOM, add just the rework item number, plus any additional rework labor (delete any other labor to build it).

He, too, thought #1 was best.  Mike