4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2006 2:52 PM by Idit Frydman Saguey

UDF Limitation with SAP Business One

Peter Fang

Hello,

We are running on 2005A with SQL 2000. We recently found out that there are limits to the number of User Defined Field (UDF) you can have. Has anyone come across this issue or know anything about this? Does anyone know if this issue would be resolved with upgrade to SQL 2003?

Any information would be appreciated!

Peter Fang

• 1. UDF Limitation with SAP Business One
          Jelin Thomas

Peter,

I am not an authority, but we were told of the same limitation. The limitation is apparently caused by SQL 2000, but is resolved in SQL 2005.

SAP 2005A SP1, which it to come out in April, will support SQL 2005. I don't think SAP 2005A does.

I hope this helps.

-David

• 2. UDF Limitation with SAP Business One
            Peter Fang

Thanks David. I hope that is the case.

• 3. UDF Limitation with SAP Business One
              Lisa Katulis

I had this problem when upgrading from version 6.5 to 2004A on SQL Server 2000.  When changing or adding a UDF, you get the message similar to the following:

CULG: maximum row size (8572) exceeds the maximum number of bytes per row (8060). INSERT or UPDATE of a row in this table will fail if the resulting row length ex

This basically means that if you then go back and look at your sales order, purchase order or invoice detail - it will be missing. Restore numbering won't work as there will be no detail records in the database to restore. You really better have a backup ready.

Hitting this error reinforced the message of always, always back up your database before making any changes to your UDF. Never take a successful change for granted no matter how many successful changes you have made.

We were able to work out the problem. I won't go into detail but it had to do with an integration piece that added UDF's (incorrectly?) through SQL. Once we fixed the fields that were affected, we were able to start changing and adding UDF's again. It is no longer a problem for us. I have made many changes since then without any problems.

If you go to the SAP Customer Portal and search for SAP Note Number 798432, you will find a very good description of the problem and what you need to do to detect and resolve this problem before upgrading.

Another relevant note is SAP Note Number 737672 which describes the limitation which also affects Sybase databases.

• 4. UDF Limitation with SAP Business One
                Idit Frydman Saguey

Hi Peter,
                i just wanted to confirm that this issue is fixed in the up comming 2005 SP1 version, together with the SQL 2005.
                Regards, idit