Any server crashes causes disruption for your users and also costs time and money to fix. Hence, monitoring your server is important so that you can act on any issue in a proactive manner . SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform 4.0 (and above) include provisions for monitoring that you can use for individual services like APS, IFRS, OFRS, etc.. But when the CMS is down or an Apache service has exited, or even if you want to monitor beyond that, SAP BusinessObjects monitoring might not be your best solution. This calls for Enterprise Third Party Monitoring solutions. In this blog, we will see how to use Zabbix, an Enterprise class Open Source Monitoring solution, to monitor SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform.
Before we move on, let’s make sure you’ve installed and configured a running Zabbix server. We will be using Zabbix version 2.4. You can refer to Zabbix documentation for installation and configuration: https://www.zabbix.com/documentation/2.4/.
Installing Zabbix Agent
The first step is to install and configure Zabbix agent in SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform Server host. Take a look at the following steps to install Zabbix agent in SAP BI Platform.
- Download Zabbix agent to the server from this link: http://www.zabbix.com/downloads/2.4.4/zabbix_agents_2.4.4.win.zip
- Extract the zip files and copy the contents to the filepath C:\zabbix
- Open the file win.conf present inside the conf folder and edit the following parameters:
|Server||<IP of Zabbix Server>|
|ServerActive||<IP of Zabbix Server>|
|Hostname||<Hostname of BI Platform Server>|
- Start the service by running the following command inside the bin folder and respective Win32/Win64 (preferred) folders
zabbix_agentd.exe –config C:\zabbix \conf\zabbix_agentd.win.conf –start
- Now, Zabbix agent will be installed in the SAP BI Platform Server host. To confirm the installation, look for an entry called Zabbix Agent in msc folder.
There are other configurations that are used to auto discover hosts in Zabbix and configure advanced options and security. These are beyond the scope of the blog. You can find them in the Zabbix documentation: https://www.zabbix.com/documentation/2.4/
Configure BI Platform for Zabbix and start monitoring by following the easy steps Enterprise Monitoring SAP BusinessObjects BI Pl... | SCN