2013 ASUG SAP BusinessObjects User Conference Speaker Resource Page
Welcome to the 2013 BOUC Speaker Resource Page. Please navigate this site by clicking on the any of the "QuickLinks" listed in the Table of Contents below:
- 2013 ASUG SAP BusinessObjects User Conference Speaker Resource Page
- Schedule or Session Change Requests
- Update Your Contact Information
- Speaker Registration
- Speaker Complimentary Registration Policy
- The ASUG Speaker Complimentary Registration Policy for the 2013 ASUG SAP BusinessObjects User Conference
- One (1) primary and (1) secondary presenter who are identified at the time of abstract submission and whose abstracts are accepted will receive a complimentary registration to the conference, provided at least one of the speakers is an SAP customer. Secondary presenters who do not qualify for a complimentary registration are welcome to attend the event at a discounted presenter registration rate and will be listed in the event marketing material.
- Housing & Travel Information
- Presentation Guidelines
- Presentation Upload Instruction
- ASUG Speaker Development Program
- Upcoming Speaker Development Webcasts
- Speaker Ready Room
On behalf of the entire ASUG community, congratulations on being selected to present at the 2013 ASUG SAP BusinessObjects User Conference. This is a special opportunity to bring recognition and visibility to you and your organization. We believe your presentation will be a valuable addition to the vibrant catalog of content available for conference attendees, and we thank you for contributing your experience and insight.
As you know, the ASUG SAP BusinessObjects User Conference takes place at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California September 9-11, 2013. In preparation for the conference, please bookmark this page and use it as a guide to help you prepare for your speaking engagement.
We hope this information will help make your experience enjoyable and successful. We also include a speaker development video and script for your benefit, along with 3"x5" reminder cards for your convenience.
Schedule or Session Change Requests
Any schedule or session changes, including speaker changes and session cancellation requests, must be submitted through the ASUG Online Change Form. Verbal and/or email requests will not be accepted. After you’ve submitted your request(s), an ASUG staff member will be in contact with you to confirm receipt, and the request(s) will be processed. Any and all requests will need to be confirmed by the ASUG BusinessObjects User Conference Program Committee prior to completion. If you have any questions at any time, do not hesitate to contact ASUG HQ at Speakers@asug.com.
Update Your Contact Information
Please take a moment to log in to the Session Abstract Tool to confirm that your contact and profile information are correct on the “My Profile” page. Please remember to click "Submit Changes" to update your information.
Registration is part of the speaker confirmation process. You will be asked to accept ASUG speaker policies and criteria during the registration process. The complimentary registration policy for speakers is listed below:
Speaker registration will allow you to attend all ASUG SAP BusinessObjects User Conference sessions. Your speaker notification letter will indicate the specific process you are to follow in order to complete your registration for the event. If you are eligible for a complimentary speaker registration, you will receive a personalized email from Registration@sapandasug.com with the subject line “ASUG Speaker Registration” inviting you to register and book your housing for this event. If you have not received this email, please contact Speakers@asug.com.
Please note: You are responsible for your own travel and hotel expenses. We strongly advise you to book your accommodations and travel as soon as possible.
Speaker Complimentary Registration Policy
The ASUG Speaker Complimentary Registration Policy for the 2013 ASUG SAP BusinessObjects User Conference
One (1) primary and (1) secondary presenter who are identified at the time of abstract submission and whose abstracts are accepted will receive a complimentary registration to the conference, provided at least one of the speakers is an SAP customer. Secondary presenters who do not qualify for a complimentary registration are welcome to attend the event at a discounted presenter registration rate and will be listed in the event marketing material.
All speakers are required to be ASUG members. All such submissions will be placed into a pending status until membership is confirmed. To confirm membership, please contact ASUG Member Services @ Memberservices@asug.com.
Please contact Speakers@asug.com if you have any questions regarding the Speaker Complimentary Registration Policy.
Housing & Travel Information
Before reserving a hotel room, speakers must register for the 2013 BusinessObjects User Conference. After completing the online registration form, individuals have the ability to click on the "Housing Reservation" link to make a hotel reservation. When making your hotel and travel arrangements, please note that there will be a Speaker Orientation Meeting and it is highly recommended that all speakers attend the meeting. Details will be announced shortly.
Presentations are due to ASUG no later than Monday, July 29th. Because all presentations are reviewed by the ASUG SAP BusinessObjects Program Committee, no extensions will be given. In order to present, you must translate the topics discussed in your abstract and key learning points into a full presentation that audience participants can reference.
- Presentations must be of educational nature, and may not be used to promote products or services. All presentations must utilize one of the ASUG PowerPoint presentation templates as a guideline for the format and content. ASUG speaker presentation templates are attached at the bottom of this page. Included are three versions for your use. Please choose whichever you prefer. If you will be building your slides from scratch, please use the .ppt extension files. If you have an existing presentation for which you would like to apply this slide design, the .pot slide template is the best choice.
- Presentations must be converted to PDF format prior to being uploaded to the ASUG website. If you do not have the necessary software to convert your presentation into a PDF format, we recommend you download CutePDF. This tool enables you to create professional quality PDF files from almost any printable document at no cost for personal, commercial, governmental, or educational use.
- Please use the following naming convention when files are uploaded: SESSION CODE_SESSION_TITLE (i.e., 1001_ASUG_SAP_BOUC_Presentation_Title). Please do not use any spaces when naming your presentation. Instead, please separate the session code from the title and all words within the title using an underscore.
- Please remember to include the session code for your presentation on the last slide of the ASUG PowerPoint presentation template. A field will be included on the last slide for you to add this information. Your session code is the primary identifier for your presentation and will be used to promote your session prior to and during the event. Speakers can find their session codes in their speaker notification acceptance letters.
- The number of presentation slides is not limited, but any graphics included in the presentation (i.e. charts, graphics, etc.) must be embedded in the PowerPoint file.
- Keep in mind that attendees will be downloading presentations from the ASUG website, so please use graphic formats that use less file space. For instance, a .gif or .tif file will use less space than a .jpg file. Where possible, please reduce image sizes to allow for faster downloads.
- All presentations are subject to a mid-point review in August. If there is feedback regarding your presentation, a member of our program committee will contact you to make any necessary edits prior to presenting the material at conference.
- Influence Council Speakers
- Navigate to the Speaker Site login page.
- Log in using your username and password. Your username is your email address. If you are unable to locate your password, skip to the “Access Your Password” option and enter your valid email address (Step #2). The system will generate and email you a password reset link. If you still have issues logging in, please contact ASUG HQ at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once logged in, after you have confirmed your speaker profile information, click on "My Submissions", located on the homepage.
- Select the correct event from the drop-down menu at the top of the page to view your submissions for the event.
- Find the submission that you wish to upload a PDF presentation for, and click on the page icon under “Upld Mgr” (upload manager).
- Browse to select the appropriate file on your local system and click "Upload".
- If presentations contain proprietary information, then an outline, agenda or abstract description of the presentations are required to be uploaded at a minimum.
- If presentations are of a general nature and do not contain proprietary information, then general presentation guidelines above are required.
Presentation Upload Instruction
- Save your file as a PDF.
- Navigate to the ASUG Call for Presentations website.
- Log in using your username and password. This will be the speaker username and password that you created when you submitted your abstract. Your username is your email address. If you are unable to locate your password, skip to the “Access Your Password” option and enter in your valid email address. The system will email you a password reset link. If you still have issues logging in, please contact ASUG HQ at email@example.com
- Once logged in, click on "My Submissions" and select the event “2013 BusinessObjects User Conference” from the drop down menu at the top of the page.
- Scroll down to view your submissions for the event. In this list, under “Upld Mgr” (upload manager) click the page icon.
- Browse to select the appropriate file on your local system.
- Select the appropriate file category from the dropdown menu (presentation).
- Click "upload".
If you have additional questions or are experiencing any difficulty with the upload process, please contact ASUG Speaker Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ASUG Speaker Development Program
Presentation Tips and Tools
Five fatal flaws to avoid while presenting:
- Reading from your slides
- Too long, too much information
- Lack of interaction
- Lifeless presenters
- Technical problems
And here are ways to avoid these:
Learn about your audience, create a relationship with them! Ask yourself these six crucial questions before you draft your presentation:
- Who will be there?
- What do they know or believe that I can build on?
- What do they know or believe that I have to overcome?
- By the end of my presentation what do I have want them to have learned?
- By the end of my presentation what do I want them to do?
- By the end of my presentation what do I want them to feel?
Ask yourself, “What is the one thing I want them to remember above all else?” When you have the answer, choose 3-5 points and find stories or examples that illustrate these.
Now create your visuals: They should NOT serve as teleprompters for you but be stimulating visuals for your audience: think of them as illustrations: fewer words, more images.
Do NOT load your slides with too much information, and do NOT read from them. Audiences can read for themselves. If you have detailed information to share, create a handout (different from your slides) to be distributed AFTER your presentation.
Find ways to engage your audience throughout your presentation rather than just waiting until the Q & A at the end. Ask them questions before, during and after, and give them exercises to get them interacting with one another. Mine the wisdom in the room!
Always remember to repeat questions asked by speakers before providing your answer for the audience. Those in the back may not have heard them.
Rehearse out loud, in front of people before your presentation. Play with vocal volume, pitch and pace. Don’t be afraid to move around the room and remember to keep an eye on the time. Set yourself 10 minute goals so you don’t end up with 10 slides to cover in three minutes.
Get to your presentation site early and learn about your audience, talk with them, engage them, this will make you relax and begin to create the all-important relationship.
Speak slowly and enunciate carefully but remember to be positive, be enthusiastic, relax, and have fun.
Get to your room early and check all technical equipment, lighting, room temperature. Have a back up plan if needed and know who your technical support people on site are.
*Another great resource from the ASUG Speaker Development Program: Andy Goodman's book "Why Bad Presentations happen to Good Causes: and his workshop website: http://www.thegoodmancenter.com/
2013 ASUG SAP BusinessObjects Users Program Committee and ASUG Speaker Services are available to help. Contact ASUG HQ at Speakers@asug.com for more information.
All attendees in your session will be asked to complete an evaluation. Remind them to complete the evaluation at the end of your presentation. You will receive a summary of the evaluations seven to eight weeks after the conference.
In addition, the ASUG SAP BusinessObjects User Conference Program Committee will try to attend as many sessions as possible. If a program committee volunteer attends your session, the volunteer will meet with you before you session and introduce you at the beginning of your session.
Upcoming Speaker Development Webcasts
There are four webcast sessions available in the speaker development series. Each session in the series will be repeated once in the same week so speakers can attend either of the two sessions for each part of the series. A calendar invite will be sent to all speakers for each webcast session and will include the event link, dial-in information and instructions for speakers to join the sessions.
Dates & Times for Webcast Sessions:
Session #1: Foundation & Flow:
Tuesday, July 16th - 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. CT / 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. EST
Download the recording here.
Thursday, July 18th - 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. CT / 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. EST
Download the recording here.
Session #2: Define your Intention:
Tuesday, August 6th- 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. CT / 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. EST
Download the recording here.
Friday, August 9th - 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. CT / 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. EST
Download the recording here.
Session #3: Platform Skills: Being You, Only Better
Tuesday, August 20th- 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. CT / 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. EST
Thursday, August 22nd - 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. CT / 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. EST
Session #4: Open Forum
Tuesday, September 3rd - 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. CT / 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. EST
Thursday, September 5th - 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. CT / 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. EST
Please Note: Upon logging-in to the WebEx, you will be prompted to enter your name and phone number. By entering your phone number, the WebEx system will then call you, enabling you to join the teleconference. If you are not able to have WebEx call you because of an extension or conference line, please dial 719-359-4032, passcode 948692.
Each webcast session will be recorded and included on this page after the conclusion of each session. Session recordings will be included under the date and time of each session above.
***Note: The WebEx ARF player is required to playback the recording. Download ARF player
Audio Visual (A/V) Equipment in Session Room*
*PLEASE NOTE: A hardwire Internet connection will be available in every session room. Wireless Internet will be available as well.
Each session room will be set with the following equipment:
• Wireless Internet connection
• (1) Laptop notebook PC
• (1) High Intensity LCD Data Projector
• (1) Screen
• (1) Wireless Lavaliere Microphone
• (1) Podium Microphone
*Subject to change
Please submit any special equipment requests or concerns you may have regarding the existing equipment to ASUG HQ at Speakers@asug.com.
Speaker Ready Room
For your convenience, there will be a Speaker Ready Room available for your use. Equipment will be available for you to practice, review, and print your presentation.
Speaker Ready Room Hours
The Speaker Ready Room will be available to all ASUG Speakers from Monday, September 9th-Wednesday, September 11th from 8:00a.m. - 5:30p.m.
Speaker Orientation Meeting
The 2013 BusinessObjects User Conference Speaker Orientation meeting will be held on Sunday, September 8th at 6:00p.m. PT in Room 204B.
It is highly recommended that you attend so you can:
- Review the conference presentation process.
- Meet with the ASUG SAP BusinessObjects User Conference Program Committee volunteers responsible for managing all content within each focus area.
- Ask questions regarding room setup.
Any other last minute concerns you may have can be sent to ASUG HQ at Speakers@asug.com.